Thursday, December 23, 2010

How I love God's Word!

Today is a breakthrough; whether good, or bad, is not yet known. Heretofore, I have not posted much of my own writing because I am aware of my position as a woman, and a young Christian. I do not want to usurp or encroach upon a higher authority. Although I didn't write very much, I thought it would be nice to share something from my own pondering.

I love God's Word so much and I am particularly passionate about Colossians. I have probably picked a terrible place to start and a terrible place to finish. (You can pick up your own Bibles and make sure you understand the context.)

Colossians 1:13-23 (English Standard Version)
13He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved Son, 14 in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16For by Him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through Him and for Him. 17And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together. 18And He is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything He might be preeminent. 19For in Him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20and through Him to reconcile to Himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.
21And you, who once were alienated and hostile in mind, doing evil deeds, 22He has now reconciled in His body of flesh by His death, in order to present you holy and blameless and above reproach before Him, 23 if indeed you continue in the faith, stable and steadfast, not shifting from the hope of the gospel that you heard, which has been proclaimed in all creation under heaven, and of which I, Paul, became a minister.

Now read it again and while you read note (or underline if you're using your Bible) what He has done or will do.

When I read these words I am temporarily constrained to simply exist in a state of wonder and complete reverence: I am in awe of our God. My heart delights itself in the magnificence of the Almighty. 

Whilst reading and meditating on this passage a though struck me: I am made and kept by Him! the hands who formed the universe, and loved with a love of incomprehensible depth. Oh I know it is nothing new; that which is new is most probably a heresy. It is simply reassuring, and it turns a feeble smilet into a joyous moment.


And then I couldn't help myself but to dig out a hymn which fitted the occasion!

Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy health and salvation!
All ye who hear, now to His temple draw near;
Praise Him in glad adoration.

Praise to the Lord, who over all things so wondrously reigneth,
Shelters thee under His wings, yea, so gently sustaineth!
Hast thou not seen how thy desires ever have been
Granted in what He ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, who hath fearfully, wondrously, made thee;
Health hath vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling, hath stayed thee.
What need or grief ever hath failed of relief?
Wings of His mercy did shade thee.

Praise to the Lord, who doth prosper thy work and defend thee;
Surely His goodness and mercy here daily attend thee.
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do,
If with His love He befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord, who, when tempests their warfare are waging,
Who, when the elements madly around thee are raging,
Biddeth them cease, turneth their fury to peace,
Whirlwinds and waters assuaging.

Praise to the Lord, who, when darkness of sin is abounding,
Who, when the godless do triumph, all virtue confounding,
Sheddeth His light, chaseth the horrors of night,
Saints with His mercy surrounding.

Praise to the Lord, O let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him.
Let the Amen sound from His people again,
Gladly for aye we adore Him.

Joachim Neander (1650-1680) [I only just noticed how young he was!]
So I didn't have to type it all out I scabbed it off CyberHymnal.

Like I always say: Nothing like a hymn with depth and substance!

Remember your God!

2 comments:

  1. It's amazing how God kept us even while we were running for from Him, and now that we're His, He will keep us to the very end. Praise the Lord!

    ReplyDelete